NDI is seeking a Director of Global Security and Operations, who will be responsible for mitigating risk inherent in the security environments in which NDI operates through security and emergency planning, orientation and training, and response to incidents. This position will also oversee the non-security functions of the Operations Department. This position is based in Washington, D.C., and reports to the Vice President of NDI.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop, implement and maintain NDI security strategy, guidelines and policies; raises awareness of security issues across NDI and within specific programs;
- Communicate security issues to the Executive office and NDI Board. Primary liaison to the Board Security Committee;
- Conduct risk analysis and providing proactive guidance to NDI travelers, international and local staff and facility management;
- Serve as Primary Coordinator of the Crisis Management Team;
- Monitor global security environment to assess impact on NDI offices, programs and travelers; communicates directly with NDI employees around the world as a primary first-contact/first-report for all questions and concerns pertaining to security;
- Coordinate a multi-directional flow of security related information to senior NDI management, DC-based program teams and Field offices;
- Respond to security events and incidents by providing advice, guidance and support; coordinate institutional response to incidents including follow-up/after action review;
- Maintain and develop contacts and relationships with appropriate international agencies, Embassies, Government agencies and other official security resources;
- Liaise with other NGO security managers and appropriate external working groups (Interaction, OSAC) to share information and best practices;
- Coordinate security assistance from external service providers;
- Oversee the development and implementation of NDI security policies, procedures and guidelines at the institutional and country-level;
- Conduct security assessments and reviews of NDI programs and country offices;
- Develop and maintain orientation and training programs to raise awareness and build security and emergency management skills of NDI staff and travelers; identify and evaluate training resources and facilitate NDI participation where appropriate; provide training as needed and/or required;
- Coordinate and collaborate with Regional Teams, the development of in-country security and emergency management plans; ensure periodic review and updating of plans. Maintain repository of country/field security planning documents at NDI-HQ;
- Maintain and update institutional Crisis Management Plan; present plans regularly to the Board of Director’s Security Committee for their review and comment;
- Partner with Human Resources to review and assess NDI’s risk insurance policies to ensure appropriate and cost effective insurance coverage and inform insurance providers on NDI risk mitigation measures; and
- Oversee incident reporting system.
- Oversee development and implementation of policies affecting field office operations, travel and safety of field staff members
- Clarify interpretations of NDI and USAID shipping and travel policies;
- Manage NDI’s travel program ($4.5MM) to ensure cost effective and efficient use of donor funds; ensure that travel rules such as Fly America are followed; regularly audit outside Travel Agency operations; manage the travel risk and duty of care for NDI employees traveling on NDI business; oversee all travel related contract vendors and associated contracts;
- Manage emergency medical and emergency extraction/evacuation process;
- Oversee the management of event site security (Harriman Dinner, ILF and other social events) domestically and provide advice and counsel on international events;
- Provide overall guidance for Operations Department participation in election missions, office openings/closing and other events requiring Operations staff in-country;
- Provide management oversight on the acquisition (leases) of NDI offices and personal residences to ensure overall safety and security of NDI staff and to ensure that NDI policies and procedures are followed;
- Oversee the management of NDI’s mobility services to ensure that all international relocations are done according to donor rules and regulations;
- Monitor and evaluate the maintenance/effectiveness of the Operations team service delivery; and
- Hire, supervise, plan and direct work, appraise performance and contribute to the professional development of the Operations staff.
Education and Experience
- Twenty years of experience working in an international non-governmental organization, including an overseas post working as a security professional in a developing country;
- Ten to 15 years of increasing responsibilities in security operations; and
- Demonstrated experience working collaboratively with established non-governmental security coordinating bodies.
Required Skills and Abilities
- Solid working knowledge of budgeting, process/quality improvement techniques, and strategic and tactical planning;
- Excellent communication skills (both written and oral);
- Working knowledge of a foreign language (French, Spanish, Arabic) an additional asset;
- Strong diplomatic skills;
- Ability to maintain high degree of confidentiality; and
- Extreme flexibility and ability to multi-task; ability to work within an ambiguous, fast-moving environment, while also leading toward clear and effective solutions; and demonstrated resourcefulness in setting priorities and guiding people and financial resources.
Candidates must possess current authorization to work in the United States without requiring employer sponsorship in order to be eligible for this position.
To apply for this position, please visit NDI's website at www.ndi.org/careers