NDI is seeking an expert with extensive experience in political party development to provide technical assistance and continuous coaching to political parties in Algeria with a focus on citizen outreach, communications and party structure strengthening. This position is based in Algiers but includes regular travel throughout Algeria. The Resident Program Manager will report to NDI’s Resident Director. The estimated start date for this position is May 1, 2015, and the position will run through March 31, 2016, with possibility of extension. This position is contingent upon NDI’s receipt of funding.
Building on 15 years of experience supporting improved democracy and governance in Algeria, NDI is currently implementing a two-year award from the British Foreign Commonwealth Office (FCO) to support Algerian political parties to more effectively represent citizens and respond to their concerns. To that end, NDI is assisting parties to better engage with citizens about their priorities, incorporate those priorities into responsive policies and messages, and involve more youth in meaningful roles as party activists. In an anticipated one-year follow-on program, NDI will assist parties to institutionalize and further integrate these reforms into party structures and processes.
- Design and manage a significant political parties assistance program, with a particular focus on citizen outreach, communications, policy development, party operational/structure development, and the participation of youth;
- Develop and lead individualized training plans, in consultation with national and local party leaders, based on the needs of the parties;
- Design and conduct training sessions (workshops) and ongoing consultations (technical assistance and coaching) to political parties in Algeria (Algiers, the capital, as well as in four pilot regions);
- Develop targeted training and reference material for participating parties;
- Provide day-to-day management, oversight and mentoring of a strong team of local program staff in the Algeria office;
- Ensure programmatic goals are achieved and reporting requirements are adhered to;
- Collaborate with colleagues in Algeria and Washington to ensure adherence to financial requirements and monitoring and evaluation of program results;
- Develop and maintain relationships with key partners in political parties, as well as with partner local organizations; and
- Draft and submit accurate and timely reports that detail program activities, monitor and evaluate program results and provide analysis of political developments.
- Minimum of eight (8) years of experience working in political parties focusing on the above mentioned areas;
- Particular experience in the Middle East and North Africa is an advantage;
- Bachelor’s Degree, preferably in international development or political science;
- Ability to communicate skills and experience to others and improve partners’ performance as a trainer and advisor;
- Experience in supporting political parties, including in: citizen outreach, communications, local party branch development, policy development, increasing the participation of youth, and supporting internal party training programs;
- Demonstrated ability to conduct and apply sophisticated political analysis to programmatic activities, and adjust activities in response to changing circumstances or needs articulated by local partners;
- Excellent managerial, interpersonal, and networking skills and ability to conduct professional relationships in a multi-cultural environment, including with senior political party leaders and grassroots level party members;
- Proven capacity to meet program goals while managing financial and administrative responsibilities; experience in results-oriented program design, strategic planning, and program evaluation;
- Superior oral and written communication skills in French and/or Arabic ; strong language skills in English required;
- Experience working in a non-English-speaking, multi-cultural work environment and ability to live and work in a challenging political setting;
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office and Google Drive environments, email technology, and spreadsheets; and
- Ability and willingness to travel to locations that may be remote and difficult to reach.
NDI is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, national origin, political affiliation, religion, gender, disability, and/or sexual orientation.
To apply for this position, please visit NDI's website at www.ndi.org/careers.